Monica Vinader are all about everyday jewellery that makes you feel good. Since being founded in 2008, they’ve focused on becoming the most responsible version of their selves – whether that be switching to 100% recycled gold and sterling silver, or pioneering with supply chain transparency. They’ve focused on designing jewellery that empowers and endures. Jewellery that makes you feel like the best version of you – every single day.
How did your sustainability journey begin?
- Sustainability has always been an integral part of our brand with Monica’s leadership at the heart of this commitment, to both people and planet.
- In 2015 we became a member of the Responsible Jewellery Council to formalise our commitment to sustainability and since then we have accelerated our efforts. These efforts include collaboration with our suppliers to promote a more transparent and traceable value chain, reduce our environmental footprint, give back to local communities and bring our employees on this journey too.
Why is being sustainable so important to Monica Vinader?
- Monica Vinader’s aim is to create timeliness, quality jewellery as responsibly as possible, that stands the test of time and without compromising on our values. We firmly believe in doing business the right way, and that way is sustainable.
- That’s why we’re committed to transparency, traceability and circularity across both our internal business and broader supply chain.
- Sustainability is also not just about us. We want to make the world and our industry a better place with more transparency and this includes bringing our suppliers and partners on this journey with us. Because collective action can have a much greater impact than if we went on this journey alone. Together, we can redefine the way jewellery is created and experienced. It’s time to tell a new story, one where luxury and sustainability coexist.
What have you done so far to make Monica Vinader sustainable?
- Firstly, all of our initiatives are aligned to our 6 chosen UN Sustainable Development Initiatives which align most closely to our company values and objectives, so our efforts remain focused
- Traceability is of paramount importance to us, in an inherently opaque industry. Our industry-first Product Passport programme allows customers to trace their jewellery through the supply chain, from design to their doorstep. It brings peace of mind that each piece is crafted to the highest standards, without compromise. Currently nearly 40% of our collection is fully traceable since our launch in 2022.
- We have also recently launched lab grown diamonds, offering customers fully traceable styles created with 100% certified renewable energy that reduces our environmental impact
- In 2022, we launched our first biodiversity project (‘Monica’s Meadow’) which will capture 1,000+ tonnes of carbon by 2027 by regenerating the landscape adjacent to our Norfolk HQ
- Gemstones are also very challenging to trace back to their source. Our bespoke ‘Mine to Market’ programme aims to trace all gemstone styles back to their mined origin and we have already traced over 50%.
- We are also committed to social sustainability and our current efforts include, school pupil work experience programme, staff volunteering days, becoming a UN WEPs signatory, EDI training programmes, dedicated charity partners and trained mental health first aiders.
How do you source ethical materials?
- All of our jewellery suppliers are certified by the Responsible Jewellery Council which means they uphold the highest standards of responsible sourcing.
- 100% of our precious metals are recycled. We have also engaged with all of our metal refiners to ensure that the recycled gold and silver we source is from legitimate and reputable sources, so us and our customers can have peace of mind
- All of our mined diamonds are sourced through the World Diamond Council’s Kimberley Process, ensuing they are conflict free and our gemstones are responsible sourced
- Our leather is sourced from a Gold Standard tannery, as certified by the Leather Working Group, ensuring the highest environmental and social standards are upheld
What are your future plans to keep Monica Vinader a sustainable brand?
- We want to continue onboarding our suppliers onto our Product Passport programme, trace more gemstones back to their mined origins and start to delve into pearl traceability to further our commitment
- Continue embarking on our decarbonisation journey towards net zero, including all offices, sites and warehouses within our control are running on 100% renewable energy and implementing a Scope 3 reduction plan
- Implementing a human rights impact and risk mapping system across our internal operations and supply chain to protect our community
- Furthering our biodiversity impact, by measuring our dependence on nature and taking steps to migrate this impact
- 100% elimination of single-use plastic across our entire internal operations by 2025
- 95% supply chain visibility of Tier 1-3 suppliers by 2025
Learn more about Monica Vinader.