Mother’s Day afternoon tea in Mayfair
- For sweet treats that ooze wow factor, take your mum to enjoy an afternoon patisserie with champagne at The Connaught Patisserie, a pretty cake parlour adjoining the five-star Connaught hotel. Prepare to be dazzled by the homemade cakes and pastries, with star turns including its Signature Connaughty Hound, a must for dog lovers.
2. Enjoy afternoon tea in the The Biltmore Hotel‘s elegant tea lounge. Tuck into sweet and savoury treats washed down with a cup of freshly brewed tea or a glass of bubbly. The afternoon tea costs £80 or £95 with a glass of champagne.
3. Indulge in afternoon tea with a twist at Jean-Georges at The Connaught, a stylish neighbourhood restaurant with floor-to-ceiling windows and walls plastered with Louise Bourgeois artworks. Add some sparkle to your afternoon with a glass of champagne, followed by finger sandwiches filled with flavours that reflect Jean-Georges’ love for South-East Asia: think cucumber with mint, and turkey and tandoori yoghurt. Then diners can expect warm scones served with Cornish clotted cream and strawberry jam, followed by a feast of heavenly pastries including hazelnut praline with milk chocolate; lemon cake; apple tart; vanilla mousse with pecan; and mango compote. Afternoon tea costs from £75.
4. Find patisserie galore at Pasticceria Marchesi, one of Milan’s oldest and finest pastry shops with a Mayfair outpost situated on elegant Mount Street. Renowned for its patisserie, signature chocolates and classic Panettone, this is the place to go for a sweet treat.
5. Enjoy a traditional afternoon tea with a Chinese twist at Kai Mayfair with its Chinese Whispers Afternoon Tea. This Michelin-starred restaurant is known for its Nanyang-style cooking, which is incorporated into its afternoon tea offerings. Sandwiches and savouries include bao sliders, prawns on toast, bao with chopped vegetables, and bao with crispy duck. Sweet treats include macarons with clotted cream, chocolate cookies, Kaya money cake with coconut and pandan custard, white chocolate bon bons, and pandan crème brulee. The Chinese Whispers Afternoon Tea costs from £52 per person, or £62 with a glass of champagne.
6. See our pick of the best afternoon teas in Mayfair for Mother’s Day.
Mother’s Day gifts
- See our gift guide for Mother’s Day featuring our top picks from Mayfair’s one-off boutiques.
Mother’s Day restaurants
- A must for seafood fans, treat your mum to a meal at new Mayfair restaurant Saltie Girl. Established in Boston in 2016, Saltie Girlis renowned for its sustainable and high-quality oysters, lobster, caviar, tinned fish and creative cocktails. On the menu are Saltie Girl classics including New England lobster roll, whole fried seabass and fried lobster and waffles. Unique for the London restaurant are monkfish and dover sole. The restaurant also serves one of the largest tinned fish collections currently seen in a restaurant globally. The tinned fish is served alongside French bread, butter and a trio of salts.
- take your mum to Bacchanalia, where diners can expect showstopping interiors and a theatrical dining experience. Curated by Caprice Holdings’ chairman Richard Caring, the epic restaurant’s spectacular dining room features four Damien Hirst statues, hand-painted ceiling murals and 2000-year-old Greek and Roman artworks. The food is as flamboyant as the interiors with a beautifully curated menu inspired by Greek and Italian cuisine. Curated by renowned chef Athinagoras Kostakos, diners can expect an immersive experience with a theatrical presentation of dishes. Seasonal dishes include crab salad, seabream carpaccio, risotto nero for three and turbot for two to share.
- Calling all art fans! The Mount St. Restaurant has won rave reviews since opening late last year. Located on the first floor of The Audley pub, the art-filled restaurant is flooded with natural light. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the menu is inspired by the capital’s culinary history with some traditional London classics given a modern twist.
11. Book a table at Native at Browns, tucked away within Browns flagship Mayfair store at 39 Brook Street, a Grade II listed building. Native at Brownschampions seasonal fare and ethical dining with a menu of small plates, natural wines and foraged cocktails.
12. Enjoy lunch with a difference at Mercato Mayfair, a food hall housed within a deconsecrated church. With its beautiful interiors, Mercato Mayfair provides the perfect setting for Mother’s Day. The food hall boasts a mix of stalls, selling everything from fresh pasta to dumplings, gelato to Malaysian street food.
13. Tuck into a meat-free feast at Plants by de, where you’ll find everything from pan-fried oyster mushroom scallops with carrot jelly; to asparagus ceviche; cauliflower schnitzel; and the ultimate vegan pancakes with dark chocolate sauce. Everything is made in house, including cultured vegan butter, cashew crème fraîche, and crushed walnut parmesan.
14. Celebrate Mother’s Day at the newly opened The Barley Mow, a landmark pub lovingly restored with a handsome bar and an elegant dining room.
15. Make this Mother’s Day extraordinary with an unforgettable dining experience at Lucky Cat by Gordon Ramsay. Asian inspired small plates, Robata grilled dishes, sushi and sashimi are exquisitely crafted in the open kitchen and signature raw bar. The Lucky Cat team have designed each dish to be shared at the centre of the table, making it the perfect feast for Mothering Sunday. Enjoy dishes such as our stunning grilled miso salmon, and you can’t miss our iconic pork belly bao buns.
16. See our guide to Mayfair’s best Mother’s Day restaurants where you can expect fabulous food and sophisticated interiors.
Mother’s Day hotel breaks
17. Book a hotel stay at the five-star Connaught hotel on Mount Street in the heart of Mayfair. Enjoy a meal at the three-Michelin-starred Hélène Darroze at The Connaught, and recharge at the hotel’s Aman Spa, offering holistic massages and body treatments.
18. Enjoy a dose of old-world luxury with a stay at The Beaumont, where highlights include a jazz age afternoon tea, a Hemingway-inspired drink and a New York-style grill restaurant.
19. Expect opulent rooms and brasserie-style dining at The Biltmore Mayfair, located in leafy Grosvenor Square.